Friday 24 March 2017

Review: Behind Her Eyes

Behind Her Eyes Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

#WTFthatending

“A tenner says you’ll never guess this ending”

When the promotion for a book emphasises the ending so strongly, more strongly in this case than any I have come across before, the ending becomes the focus, the thing by which the story's success is measured. I would not have won the tenner and the conclusion certainly was #WTF but unfortunately not in a good way.

'Behind Her Eyes' is a well constructed psychological thriller, a story of martial infidelity narrated by two women who may not be what they tell us they are. The narrative moves quickly, the characters are compelling and the dialogue is good. But the twist.... The ending is so out of context, although there are clues that here is something strange going on below the surface, that, when I realised where this was going, I was completely thrown out of the story.

So, despite its merits, when the publicity concentrates on an ending that, for me, is unsuccessful, I have to judge the book accordingly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BlogTour - Still See You Everywhere by Lisa Gardner

A remote tropical island. Countless dangerous secrets. No way to call help. ‘A  master of the thriller  genre’ David Baldacci ‘Full-on  acti...